Home Repairs

 Old Spice Photo

If you are a home owner (or lease/rent your home but are legally obliged to carry out certain repairs) and you need information and advice about organising home repairs, a local Care & Repair or similar home improvement agency may be able to help. 

Most of these services offer advice and assistance with finding the money to pay for work, contracting a reliable builder and supervising the building work. Some offer other practical help which may enable you to live independently in your own home for longer e.g.  run their own ‘odd job’ or ‘handyperson’ services.

To find out if there is a Care & Repair or similar agency in your area you can contact their national organisation, Foundations

Tel 0300 1240315,  http://www.findmyhia.org.uk/

Who else may help?

If there is no such service in your area a local AgeUK may be able to help with small odd jobs. AgeUK national can tell you if there is a local AgeUK in your area.

AgeUK national also offer a range of Guides and Factsheets about housing matters. Factsheet 67 covers Funding repairs, improvements and adaptations. www.ageuk.org.uk    Advice Line: 0800 169 6565

Some local councils offer home owners advice and information about finding the money to pay for home repairs or hold a list of reputable builders. Where offered this is most commonly part of the Environmental Health Department or Trading Standards.

The Consumer organisation Which? offers a Trusted Trader scheme www.which.co.uk

TrustMark is a government endorsed Trusted Trader scheme www.trustmark.org.uk

Age UK have information on trusted traders – see https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/housing-options/adapting-home/finding-tradesperson/

Repair Grants

Note that there are no longer any national mandatory grants to help home-owners to pay for repairs. Each local housing authority makes its own decision about whether to offer such assistance.


If you are looking for help to get your landlord to carry out repairs these organisations may help you:


Provide information on wide range of housing problems via their on-line guide and link people to local housing advice providers http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

Citizens Advice

Provide free advice on a wide range of subjects via their website on-line advice guide: www.adviceguide.org.uk/  and through the local bureau (search for your area here: www.citizensadvice.org.uk)