Need Advice?


Planning Ahead for Housing in Later Life | Home Repairs | Home Adaptations |  Moving Home

Care & Repair England does not offer a telephone or email advice service as there are national and local specialists who already do this.

Below we list a number of organisations who may be able to help you.

If you are looking for information about housingcare or related finance for yourself, a relative or friend, the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) and FirstStop [details below] provides online independent and expert information.

If you are looking for a local Care & Repair or similar agency (often called a Home Improvement Agency) which offers help with carrying out home repairs or adaptations, their national body Foundations lists all accredited schemes on their website [details below].

For other information and advice we list a number of useful organisations below who are all independent, impartial and not-for-profit providers.

Who to turn to

Housing & Care Options Information & Advice

First Stop Logo

EAC FirstStop

EAC FirstStop focus on providing independent and expert information to as many older people as possible through a considerable online reach. Their HousingCare website provides a valuable space for people considering their housing options. EAC FirstStop have developed a Housing Options for Older People (HOOP) self-help tool which helps people think about different aspects of their home and how best to live in it.

EAC FirstStop have also developed a home from hospital tool which helps people consider what services, equipment or support they might need when returning home from hospital. The tool can also provide details of local services that can assist with the discharge process

Help with Home Repairs & Adaptations

‘Home improvement agencies’ (sometimes called Care & Repair, but with many other local names) may be able to help you to organise, carry out and/or find funds for home repairs, adaptations, odd jobs, safety or security work.

To find out if there is a home improvement agency in your area contact their national organisation Foundations.  You can put in your postcode and find out if there is an agency near you on their website –  – or contact 0300 1240315 Email:

IMPORTANT NOTE – Care & Repair England does not operate any local services. All organisations calling themselves Care & Repair are legally separate and we have no control over use of the name ‘Care & Repair’.

Home Adaptations Information

Disabled Living Foundation
0300 999 0004
Provide independent information and advice about equipment, adaptations & services to make living independently at home safer.

Finding Builders

Your local Trading Standards (part of the local council), home improvement agency or AgeUK may run a local ‘Trusted Trader’ scheme

The Consumer organisation Which? offers a Trusted Trader scheme

TrustMark is a government endorsed Trusted Trader scheme

Energy Advice

The Energy Saving Trust     
0300 123 1234 or 0800 512 012
Provides advice and information on energy efficiency programmes and financial support.

National Energy Action
Aims to eradicate fuel poverty. Range of practical information available on website.  Warm and Safe Homes Advice. Speak to an adviser directly by calling 0800 304 7159

Money Advice

The Money Advice Service
Advice Line: 0800 138 7777
An independent organisation, giving free and unbiased money guidance online to help members of the public better understand and manage their financial affairs.

Turn 2 Us
Advice Line: 0808 802 2000
Help people to access welfare benefits, charitable grants & financial help online, or by phone via partners.

General Advice for Older People

Advice Line: 0800 169 6565
Offer a wide range of free information via Tel Advice, website, factsheets and deliver help via local AgeUK groups.

Independent Age
Advice Line: 0800 319 6789   (Monday to Friday 10am-4pm)
Provide advice for older people, their families & carers on benefits and entitlements, getting a care assessment, moving into a care home, paying for care, being discharged from hospital and much more.

Citizens Advice   
Provide free advice on wide range of subjects via their website On-line Advice Guide: and through the local bureau (search for your area here:

Which? Elderly Care

A source of free and independent information and advice on care choices for older people across the UK